Thursday 25 February 2010

Sam Taylor-Wood

Sam Taylor-wood is a well-known photographer as well as a famous film-maker and artist. She recently directed the film ‘Nowhere boy’ for which she was nominated for a Bafta. She took the self-portrait image above in 2004. When I first saw this image a couple of years ago I immediately became interested and have specifically remembered it ever since. The image grabs your attention and plays with your feelings. When I saw the image I felt an overwhelming sense of freedom and innocence. The image is part of a series which all show her suspended in mid air. Throughout her career she has achieved many amazing things, some of her well-know projects include her images of David Beckham, the world’s largest art instillation where she covered Selfridges in a giant celebrity filled image, and her series of images of male actors crying, which you can see an example of below. She says of her famous series "I did it as an exorcism of tears, from not having cried through being ill. I almost never cry, and it's something I don't like about myself. I sometimes try and make myself cry. Sometimes, when I'm in pain, I say if I could just cry it would make it so much easier. I think that's why I made 28 men cry instead. I always say that my work is ahead of me three steps. With hindsight, I was sitting there with people who'd cry my tears for me.” Sam has survived cancer twice and this is what she is referencing in the quote when she says she was ill. I really like her series of the crying men. When I first saw it I felt moved, and was amazed at the way she reflected the men’s vulnerability. She managed to get so many famous people to take part in her images including Robin Williams, Jude Law, Dustin Hoffman and many others. You can see many of the images on the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment