Wednesday 26 May 2010

David LaChapelle


From the first time I saw David LaChapelle’s work I knew I wouldn’t forget it in a hurry. His images are so bright and attention-grabbing that they just can’t be ignored. His ideas are always crazy and often controversial. He has worked with many famous faces, magazines and brands and is a very sought after photographer. I noticed that he was holding an exhibition in Mayfair and I immediately started looking through his images again. They are always fun to look at and it’s amazing what he can get some people to do! He has been quoted as saying he is drawn to “sexuality and spontaneity” which are two words I would definitely use to describe his work. He has also directed a few music videos, which are instantly recognize as his once you are familiar with his work and style. I’ve looked closely at his images of celebrities and how he has made them confront controversial issues about themselves and society. He often gets them to joke around with their image and their own work. Below is an image of Kanye West. In this image he is dressed as Jesus on the day he was crucified. This image doesn’t just question religious issues but race issues as well. Some people may feel offended when they see this image while other will believe it is a true representation of what Jesus could have looked like. Some will appreciate it as art while others will see it as blasphemy.

Below are a couple more examples of his images. The first image has a strong sense of the idea of semiotics. To me the image is showing how fast food is taking over the American people.

“My work is about making candy for the eyes. It’s about grabbing your attention. Even though my work is appearing in magazines I am trying to make a large picture. I want my photographs to read like a poster.” - David LaChapelle - American Photo

“People say photographs don't lie, mine do.” - David LaChapelle - Collector's edition of Life


“My idea was that if I took a picture of somebody and years later, or whenever, they would die and if someone wanted to know who this person was, they could take one of these pictures and it would tell who the person was.” - David LaChapelle


http://www.photoquotes.com/showquotes.aspx?id=147&name=LaChapelle,David
http://www.lachapellestudio.com
David LaChapelle – Heaven to Hell – Book
David LaChapelle – The Rape of Africa - Book

No comments:

Post a Comment